jeudi 3 septembre 2015

Mini on ethernet and develop a stuttering problem? Try this

Using ethernet and having video and audio stuttering issues with your mini? Try replacing ethernet cables that link your roamio to your mini.

I recently ran into an issue where a mini in one of my bedrooms developed what I would call a stuttering problem. Selecting live TV or watching recorded video would take a long time to acquire. Then when it did, the audio would constantly cut-off and the video playback would appear choppy.

I first tried rebooting the mini. Then I tried reestablishing the connection to the Roamio in the settings screen of the mini. Next I replaced both the HDMI cable and the ethernet cable that connected the mini to the RJ45 jack on the wall in the bedroom. All these changes did nothing to resolve the issue.

Since I have 5 minis in the house, I then went to another bedroom with a mini and tried that one. Surprisingly it was also displaying the stuttering problem. I checked a third mini in the house and again displayed the same stuttering problem. What all my minis had in common was that they were all connected to the same network switch, so I proceeded to inspect my network equipment.

My network setup is fairly basic and consists of a high-speed cable modem, a wireless router which also has 4 network ports on the back for wired ethernet and a 16-port wired switch. My Roamio is connected directly to one the wired ethernet ports on the back of the router. I then have another ethernet cable connected between the back of the router and directly to the 16-port switch, which all my minis and computers are connected to.

The ethernet cable that feeds network connectivity between the router and the switch was the culprit for me. Replacing this patch cable restored all streaming video to all the minis in my home back to normal.

interestingly, I also have several computers in the house that are wired directly to the switch. While the minis were suffering from their stuttering problems, the computers functioned properly and able to access the internet and network. I'm no network expert by any means, but I suspect the computers worked because they were probably not using as much bandwith compared to the minis. So if you decide to test an ethernet cable that your using with a mini by plugging it into a computer instead, it may not show you accurate results. Better to replace the ethernet cable.

So again this is just my experience and posting here in case it may help someone else. So if you run into stuttering issues with your mini and using ethernet, try replacing all the ethernet cables in the link between your roamio and the mini, as one of them may be the issue.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire