jeudi 3 septembre 2015

Thinking of switching to a Roamio plus from MediaCenter

Windows Media Center has reached EOL. I've been a long time user of media center since MCE XP. It's been great having one box that does everything from a DVR to a Blu Ray player. With the demise of the netflix plugin, media center is no longer a viable option. The software hasn't been updated in years, so it's time for a transition.

I know about the deal on a refurb 4 tuner TiVo for $300 which includes lifetime. It's a great deal, and the only difference between the three cable card TiVos are the number of tuners and hard drive capacity. The hardware is essentially the same. The interface is really great, and I like that you can search across apps for content. I'm on Cox cable, and I've been using a Ceton 4 tuner since it first came out, and four tuners has served me well with not a lot of conflicts in recording shows.

I'm leaning towards a 6 tuner TiVo Plus just to have two extra tuners for capacity. I'm in a quandary about which one to get, but based on my viewing habits the four tuner would be fine. I can always upgrade the hard drive to larger capacity on the four tuner TiVo later. I'm currently using a 1TB drive to record shows. My media center would be relegated to be a music and movie server for blue rays and DVDs, and moved into a smaller heatsink case. Media Center makes a great movie player using My Movies and music server once I disable the DVR recording engine and edit the menus to only show the movie and music strips using MCE reset toolbox.

Comments would be greatly appreciated about which TiVo I should get. The refurb is very tempting. :)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire