vendredi 30 mai 2014

Long-term TiVo user reassessing his options (debating new unit)...

I've been a TiVo user since 2001, when I got a Series 1 that I hacked to get a larger hard drive. I eventually upgraded to a TiVoHD with a CableCard and have been reasonably happy ever since.



I used to be on Charter Cable, and eventually got onto Verizon FiOS. Until just recently, I haven't had any issues. But now I've hit my first MPEG4 channel that will not work with my TiVoHD, and it's making me rethink how I use my TiVo overall.



I'm watching less commercial TV - I actually downgraded my TV package with Verizon earlier this month - and am watching more streaming material. But there are certain sports that keep me tied to cable for now. The 120 GB hard drive in my TiVoHD frequently maxes out on certain weekends, which forces me to delete programs or offload them to my computer when I don't have the time.



So I'm trying to think about the pros & cons of upgrading to a new TiVo box. I'd appreciate it if those who have some recent experience with newer hardware could chime in and add their own items or point out things I have wrong.



Pros for Upgrading:

-- More responsive

-- More tuners

-- Much more built-in storage (I would probably look at the 1 TB version)

-- Can watch/record MPEG4 channels from provider

-- Has newer built-in features

-- Is currently supported

-- Is HD-native



Cons for Upgrading:

-- Spending $$$$ on new hardware

-- Unclear how stable current platform is

-- Not certain if I'd have to get a contract for service

-- Older platforms don't have pop-up ads

-- Still based on existing platform (meaning, needs tuning adapter, etc.)



Anything else I'm missing?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire