vendredi 3 avril 2015

Series 3 YouTube app axed - the end of HME?

OMG OMG OMG!! TIVO, YOU'RE KILLING ME!



I mean... I guess I knew they were going to kill HME some day in the future (although in the back of my mind was clinging to the hope that they'd just update it and go all developer happy again), but this really feels like the end.



Today my TiVo HD had the announcement that both Amazon AND YOUTUBE will be GONE in 2 weeks for that model... that means those HME apps will be gone... that means two things.



1) Enter Webz will no longer work with YouTube unless somebody can figure out how to launch Flash with args from HME. Even then it's not going to be as pleasant an experience.



2) They have some sort of reason for getting rid of the YouTube HME app but keeping the Flash app.

2a) I'm hoping it's a maintenance issue (youtube api change coming soon or something) and they decided the small percentage of Series 3 users weren't worth updating the HME app.

2b) Otherwise these are just the first casualties as the HME cancer spreads, and it will all die very soon.



I'm going to try and email tivomargret out of desperation in hopes that she'll give me a straight answer... is it a waste of my time to do any more HME development? Am I throwing away money every month on a public HME server? How much time does HME have left, realistically? Is there a planned plug-pulling date?



The best answer I can hope for is "we're not maintaining HME apps any more so they'll go away slowly, and the next TiVo model won't even have HME." More likely "... and the next software release for Series 4 and above won't even have HME." Worst: "HME will be disabled for all models by the end of the year."



I figure they have no strong reason to shut down HME for Series 2 and 3, but that's at most 8% of my own subscribers... I don't think I want to spend the money and effort to support 42 TiVos when I could spend it learning some other lost cause I can work on for years with no support or users until it gets pulled out from under me. Or maybe just go back to my Commodore 64 and 1200 baud dialup modem. They still have BBS's out there, right? I used to make some pretty good PETSCII art.



In the meantime...

http://ift.tt/1IwNjBe



Just the other day I bought the domains HasTo.work, HaveTo.work, MayNot.work, and Cannot.work

My own personal Internet of frustration and desperation.

I'll attach any other waste-my-time-and-not-get-rich-quick schemes there.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire