dimanche 12 octobre 2014

Need networking advice for Roamio Plus and Premiere XL

I currently have a Premiere XL (2-tuner) purchased via a deal that included a TiVo wireless-N adapter. I'm seriously thinking of taking an offer to get a new Roamio Plus with lifetime and relocating the Premiere. So I could use some informed advice on how best to set things up to be able to stream between these two boxes once I have both. Some particulars:



The Premiere "thinks" it's on Ethernet per its settings. But there's no practical way to get Ethernet wire to the living room location or into the bedroom where the Premiere will be placed once a Roamio Plus arrives. I've seen folks here saying wifi isn't "recommended" for streaming, but TiVo's site says you cannot stream if either device uses wifi. In any event, switching my cable modem isn't an option and I'm sticking with my Apple Airport Time Capsule as my router.



I'm not 100% clear on how the cable comes into our home, but I think it's got 3 separate points of entry (possibly 4). The downstairs TV is the current Premiere XL location and will be the home of the Roamio Plus once it arrives; a cable enters 6-8 feet from there. A second cable enters on the opposite side of the house into our master bedroom, where the Premiere will be placed once the Roamio arrives. A third cable enters higher up on the same side of the house as the master bedroom, and this one is run to a wall plate that connects to the cable modem (with telephone) in a home office. I'm unsure if there's a separate 4th entry point or whether one of these splits and runs through attic space where it's then dropped down into an upstairs bedroom and currently connects to a cable STB until our daughter moves out.



I know that the Roamio Plus/Pro models support MoCA without needing adapters, and that the Premiere XL would supposedly need an adapter. I think what I've read thus far suggests I'd need yet another adapter tied to my cable modem. Of course, that's only if MoCA is my best overall solution.



So...is MoCA my best bet? Or should I consider wireless to Ethernet bridges (which essentially how the TiVo branded wireless-N adapter appears to work)? Something else?



I'm moderately network literate, but any advice shouldn't assume TOO much literacy on my part given that I'm not positive about the separate points of entry for cable. (And I do have a Motorola tuning adapter.) But I'd like to avoid having to pay Charter for anything if I can avoid it...as you can imagine. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire