jeudi 9 octobre 2014

Charter disabled my Mini / Moca

Earlier this year i upgraded to Roamio Pro and more recently added a Mini. I was lucky, the initial cable card install went well, plus the tuning adapter, with no issues to date and i have enjoyed the multiple tuners and storage.

i didn't totally understand the entire Moca netwokand POE filter business but felt i could follow instruction. My junction box outside the house has a bigger splitter that feeds the line into the landline phone, one for internet, and 2 separate feeds for cable TV. One comes to Living Room in front of the house where i have the modem, router, and Roamio. One runs to back of the house with the bedrooms which each have my series 2 units, i have ignored this feed as it didn't seem necessary. i wanted to add the mini to a new location in back of my house, and needed to run the coaxial to the Mini there.

within this huge junction box and just afer their splitter i unscrewed the coaxial coming into the Living room and added a 3" coaxial with the POE filter and then a splitter. so now one feed goes to living room and one goes to the mini. I left all of that inside the junction box, i guess that was my mistake? I set up the mini, everything worked great, i am happy. for a few weeks. last weekend i turn on tv and the mini says not connected to internet, no network adapter. i tried to troubleshoot for days, restarted, checked connections etc. nothing helped.

inisde i noticed on my wifi network that i was losing internet for a few seconds over and over. i checked my Tivo connection and it had failed, told me i was not connected to the internet. i read threads, support articles, couldnt figure it out. oddly enough, after 4 days it the Roamio finally made a connection, and i could see my network on the roamio again. but the mini still had no connection i was baffled and finally thought to look in the junction box, my addtions were completely gone.

i called charter and asked if they could tell if a tech had come to my home at any recent time or if i might should assume someone else had stolen equipment, but i now had connection issues. i was vague about what they were. that got their attn and rep seemed sincerely concerned and told me that a tech had come last Friday Oct 3 to resolve a modem sync issue. i was very confused, who reported an issue, i didnt have one, who authorized them to change my setup, why would they do so? they said i must have requested the call, or someone in my home did. they said someone must have been here, but i didnt call and i wasnt home. i then explained the situation, they were apologetic and also confused, he created a VIP trouble ticket and got a call from local dispatch. they need to know if i will be home the next morning or when i can miss work to be home for them to come fix the problem. i argue profusely, i wasnt home when he messed me up, i dont plan to miss work to have it resolved. they finally agreed to send him back on Saturday. i am adamant that he must bring back my property, and if he has reason not to lke how i hooked it up, show me how it needs to be.

but for now he has totally disconnected my new mini location, and taken the POE without even leaving a note on the door! i am sure i have the only MOCA network anywhere around me, most of my neighbors are trees. but i assume i need to keep this POE filter, if for some reason he doesnt want it there? do i put it back anyway? or put it somewhere else? is there a better way to hook this up, i need to use the coaxial and moca, ethernet isn't a good option for me.

so if you made it thru my post, please tell me anything i need to know to make sure i handle this tech visit properly. dispatch said if he took anything or unhooked anything it was because i wasn't supposed to do it, or have it there. if i can't split off from right there, i am not sure what else to do? She also was adamant that he came because he saw signal issues from my home and corrected the problem for me, so i shouldnt be having problems. i kept insisting there was no problem until after he came. i possibly could have caused something i don't know or understand, but really, i only added a splitter, POE and a coaxial. i need to understand if i did anything wrong, or if anything i need to know concerning all of this.

I am going to give them benefit of the doubt and try to have a positive attitude with the tech, at this point this post is just to share this odd experience. but any advice or thoughts are welcome. i will post back afterwards to let you know what happens. sorry for the long detail and if i chose the wrong forum to post in. thanks




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire