mercredi 23 septembre 2015

Series 2 hard drive died

Probably long overdue after almost 10 years of productive use, but it finally died. It is the 540080 model. I researched this site to get all of the information needed to replace it.

First, I bought a Seagate DB35.3 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive. I imaged it using the WFS tool and a backup I found through this site and thought I was good to go. It didn't work. I actually got through the setup process and thought I was good to go, but no. The "Tivo" button behaved funny, showing the menu options over the tv program that was running in the background, then it would randomly freeze up. I had to reboot over and over and could never get to the point of actually entering any program info. Strangest thing. So I gave up on that path and tried another.

My latest attempt was more straightforward. I bought a "new in box" Tivo off eBay and just swapped this pristine, new HD into my Tivo. I got the guided setup as expected of a new machine, but then realized that I had to connect to a landline for this option which I do not have. I found another posting that told how to use a USB to Ethernet adapter and the phone prefix ",#401". Again, I thought I was golden when this got me through the first three steps of setup (where my digital phoneline had failed), but then on the fourth step "Importing", I got "Failed while loading data".

I am more than a little frustrated, but trying to hang in there with this process. I thought I was technically savvy, but after struggling through Linux commands with MFS Boot Disk, I'm ready to admit I know nothing. This is a young man's game.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong with EITHER this new, pristine Tivo drive or the 160GB Seagate drive? I would be eternally grateful as I'm on the verge of giving up.

-Mark


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire